Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides short-term counseling to Widener students who are enrolled full time. CAPS strives to provide brief treatment to facilitate adjustment, improve functioning, achieve resolution of problems, and alleviate acute symptoms; with the goal of supporting student’s academic progress.
Students whose presenting concerns require long-term treatment, or students who would prefer long-term therapy, can request to meet with a CAPS staff member for assistance in finding a referral to a mental health care provider in the community. CAPS services are not an appropriate substitute for long-term, intensive psychological services. Some common examples that may be more suited to an outside referral include, but are not limited to:
• History of multiple psychiatric hospitalizations
• History of long-term therapy
• The need for frequent crisis management
• Current symptoms which require intensive treatment
• A desire to be seen more than once per week
• Issues which require a specific type of therapy not offered by CAPS staff
If you are unsure whether or not the services at CAPS are the best fit for your needs, our staff will be happy to meet with you to discuss your individual situation.