Externship FAQs

Widener Law Commonwealth Externship FAQS 

What is an externship?   A course that involves placement for academic credit that is external to the law school (e.g. courts, DA/PD offices, state government, nonprofits).

What is the difference between an externship and an internship? They are essentially the same experience, but with an externship one receives academic credit.

Can an externship be a paid position? Yes, unless you are receiving federal work study.

Can one do an externship with a private law firm? No, this is not permitted.

What is the difference between a Clinical and a Judicial externship? A Judicial externship is placement with a court, and all other placements are Clinical externships.

How do I register? Complete the Externships Registration form. Once approved by the Externship Director, Elizabeth Simcox, this course will be added to your schedule by the Registrar.

What is the maximum number of credits permitted? 8 total; 6 in a summer semester and 1-4 in a fall or spring semester.

Is there a class component? Yes, this is listed on the Registrar’s course schedule as to date, time, and place just as with all law school courses.

What are the necessary forms for the course? These can be found on the TWEN site under the course listed as Clinical and Judicial Externship. Select Course Materials from the left-hand menu on the main page.

Do I have to pay for an externship? Yes, this is treated as all other classes and the cost will depend on the number of credit hours selected. Please see the Financial Aid Office for any questions regarding billing.

Is this course graded? It is graded as a Pass/Fail class.

How many work hours in the placement are required per credit? 50 work hours per credit are required.

Are there GPA requirements to take this course? Yes, 2.3 for Clinical externships and 2.5 for Judicial externships.

Are there prerequisites? Yes; Professional Responsibility which can be taken simultaneously, and Evidence which is required for litigation placements.

What about the Student Practice Rule? PA permits students to become certified under a student practice rule and make appearances in court under the supervision of a licensed attorney. This form is available in the Office of Student Affairs.

All other questions may be directed to Elizabeth G. Simcox, Esq., Externship Director, at egsimcox@widener.edu