1098-T information

1098-T Electronic Authorization And Delivery

1098-T Electronic Consent and Delivery Instructions.pdf

For students who do not consent to electronic delivery, a hard copy form will be mailed to the address on file with the University on or before the Federally Mandated Deadline of January 31st.

Direct Link to your 1098-T Form

To access all available electronic forms click here and sign in using your Widener credentials.

Having problems Logging In?

Widener University account holders can reset their passwords from the Password Self Service (PSS) site on their computers or mobile devices, even if they have forgotten it or it has expired. The user will be required to enter their seven-digit University ID number if they are resetting a forgotten password via text/email.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that affords parents the right to have access to their children’s education records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education records. When a student turns 18 years old, or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student. To allow a parent, guardian, or other individual access to your information, they must be listed on your FERPA Waiver. Update your FERPA Waiver here.

Frequently Asked Questions (click to expand answers)

What is a 1098-T?

The 1098-T form is an informational form the IRS requires colleges and universities to provide for any student enrolled during the academic terms included in the calendar year covered. These expenses can be used as deductions on a U.S. income tax form, Schedule A, which reduces taxable income and the overall amount owed to the IRS.

Why didn’t I receive a 1098-T?

Institutions are not required to furnish a 1098-T to non-resident aliens; to individuals whose qualified tuition and related expenses are waived or paid with scholarships; to individuals enrolled only in noncredit courses; to individuals whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement; or to those individuals whose calculations net to zero. If you did not receive a 1098-T and believe you should have, please email 1098T@widener.edu.

What is a Qualified Educational Expense?

Qualified tuition and related expenses are defined as tuition and certain related expenses required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution. Student-activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified related expenses only if the fees and expenses must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance. Unqualified expenses include university housing, meal plans, health insurance, transportation, or other similar personal, living, or family expenses.

What if I can’t log in or I have forgotten my password?

Even if you’ve graduated or left the University ITS keeps your account active for a time after you leave so you can still access your information. If you are having problems logging in, you can go here for help with your account.

I’m having problems printing my 1098-T, can you help?

If you are having problems printing we recommend one of two options. You can either try switching to a different browser or try saving the form to your desktop and then printing it. If either of those suggestions don’t work please contact ITS to see if they have any other suggestions but using one of the two suggestions mentioned has worked for other students who have had the same issue.

How do I request a replacement 1098-T form?

The fastest way to access your 1098-T form is via mywidener.  If you have not already, you will need to consent to retrieve your form electronically to view your 1098-T form. Instructions are available here for consenting to receive electronically.

For confidentiality purposes we are only able to mail forms to the address currently listed on the student record. If you need a replacement form and you are not an electronic consenter you will need to send an email to 1098T@widener.edu including your student ID number and verifying the address we have on file for you. If you have moved since you last updated your information you will first need to contact the Registrar’s Office and provide them with an updated address before we can send out your form. If you are an electronic consenter, your email must also include that you are revoking your consent and would like a hardcopy mailed to you.

Can I pick my 1098-T up in person?

We are unable to distribute forms in person. This protects both the students and the University by making sure that no Confidential Information is accidentally handed out to wrong parties. You access your form 1098-T immediately via mywidener.  If you have not already, you will need to consent to retrieve your form electronically to view your form 1098-T. Instructions are available here for consenting to receive electronically.

The Address on my 1098-T isn’t my current Address, what should I do?

The address shown on Form 1098-T is irrelevant for IRS income tax filing purposes. However, you should update your address with the the Registrar so that the University has up-to-date information. Please send an email to registrarmc@widener.edu or call them at 610-499-4161.

The Name or Social Security Number on my 1098-T isn’t correct, what should I do?

Please contact Enrollment Services at enrollmentservices@widener.edu or 610-499-4161 to submit the appropriate changes. You will need to provide a copy of documentation for a name change i.e. marriage license, court paper work, divorce decree or driver’s license, but a social security card must be shown in person to change a social security number. Also, please email 1098T@widener.edu immediately of any error so we may correct your 1098-T.

What do I do with the 1098-T form?

Keep it for your records. You are not required to attach it to your tax return since the University is required to send a copy of your 1098-T to the IRS. Please read the Instructions for Student section at the top of your 1098-T for a description of each Box. The dollar amounts reported in these boxes are not necessarily the amounts you would report on your tax return and may be different than what you actually paid.

Is a 1098-T the same as a 1098-E?

A 1098-T is not the same as a 1098-E. A 1098-T is for Tuition and certain related expenses paid in a year a 1098-E is for loan related expenses. A hard copy 1098-E should be mailed out to each borrower from University Accounting Services. If you are looking for additional information you can contact the Office of Enrollment Services at enrollmentservices@widener.edu or 610-499-4161.

For all other 1098-T questions, all campus Locations contact email: 1098T@widener.edu

IRS Links

IRS Forms and Publications
IRS Tax Benefits for Education Information Center
IRS Publication 970
IRS Videos on YouTube
IRS Form W-9S